Saturday 16 February 2008

Travels and Tribulations

Thursday
We made a somewhat delayed start to our journey at about 11am. Robbie was so late getting ready that I had to threaten to go without him! It was a frustrating journey, the air conditioning failed so we had the choice of boiling or going deaf! Both options were intolerable so we alternated between the two. The roads were busy and my driving ability was challenged further by Robbie’s determination to obstruct the view in my wing mirror with various body parts (for those readers with low minds I mean, head, stomach and arms!). When he had run out of body parts he managed to block my view totally by holding his magazine at an awkward angle. He yelled in extacy when he spotted a virgin train alongside the M5, he then gave us it's full journey time and all scheduled stops. Despite the hazards we arrived safely, I was too exhausted to eat, but Robbie took the kids out in search of food. I was somewhat revived after a bath and by the time they returned I had the unpacking done. Robbie returned in the most aggravating of moods, silly and giggly and argumentative. When he got close to me I detected that he smelled of alcohol, at the time he assured me it was because he’d had onion rings with brandy batter – yuck! He has since admitted to one pint, so either he became inebriated on one pint or the air disagreed with him. He eventually fell asleep, but even then he caused chaos by snoring like a pig and keeping everyone else awake. The joys of a weekend away!!

Friday
We went to visit family today. It was lovely to see my niece and nephew again, they seem to be growing up so fast. The weather beautiful and we went over the Saltash Bridge to Trerulefoot and turned back towards Torpoint, it is a beautiful road at any time of year, but now with the primroses and the beautiful views of the river. Unfortunately I missed the best views because I was driving, but we had a nice meal at Windy Ridge (one of Robbie’s favourite places). Then after visiting family we headed back across the Tamar on the Torpoint Ferry. By this time it was dark and the lights on the river looked magical, but I was tired and all I wanted was to relax with a cup of tea and my computer and then to curl up in bed. Robbie was completely exhausted by the excesses of yesterday and by the effort of spending the whole of today with his foot in his mouth (he now has the world record for saying the wrong thing at the wrong time – he should have joined the diplomatic service!) and he feel asleep soon after getting back to the hotel.

No comments: