Wednesday 20 February 2008

A Personal Choice 05.05.07

Do you remember the deal I struck with Robbie to allow him to go to the diesel gala. He completed the first part of the bargain on Thursday and he has another week to complete part two. Thursday was an interesting day, I took Emily to vote for the first time. Listening to her talk about the experiences of her friends (other first time voters) I realised that with all the heavy handed government control of education, they have missed the basics. Nobody has ever explained to them how to vote, I don't mean who to vote for, I mean the process of going to put your cross on a ballot paper. Consequently the vast majority of her friends didn't vote, and of the couple who did, one spoiled her paper and one accidentally voted for the wrong party (because she didn't think that you were allowed to vote for 2 counsellors from the same party!). The right of every adult to have a vote was something our ancestors fought for and it is terribly sad that so many people do not bother to vote. From my point of view, I always seem to end up worse off whoever wins, but that's another story!

No comments: