Wednesday 20 February 2008

Pay Attention to Detail 25.05.07

Robbie was jubilant when he got home last night, the cause of his elation was not that he had finished work ready to go on holiday. No, he was overjoyed because he had found some new lounge wear (PJ's) that met with his rigorous specifications - don't ask! Whatever the cause it is always good to have a happy household and he was so cheerful that he willingly cleaned the kitchen while I delivered the guineapig to 'grandmas'.

I believe Robbie's colleagues are in for a very quiet week next week, not only will Robbie be away but the noisy northerner will be away too. Enjoy it! One of my colleagues asked why I don't put much about my work on the blog. Mainly it is because the people that our organisation works with have a variety of needs and many have overcome obstacles that would make the rest of us give up on life, I would never want to appear to laugh at them or to make light of their circumstances. However there are lots of smiles and laughter in our work as well as the other stuff. The story I am going to tell you about happened many years ago so I don't think it will do any harm to write about it.

A young man of about thirty came to ask for help, nothing unusual there, I often advised him on all sorts of things from Housing Benefit claims to food preparation. On this occasion his problem was a little more personal, he had acquired a carpet burn on a part of his anatomy that should not normally crop up in conversation - don't ask. I advised him that his GP was the person to deal with that sort of problem and not me. He persisted, but I was clear that I couldn't advise and he phoned for an appointment. As he could not be seen immediately he said that he thought he would put some cream on it in the meantime and I agreed that it seemed a reasonable thing to do. It was only a few minutes later as he was leaving the office that something made me call him back and ask what sort of cream. His reply - deep heat!!! I rescued him from a fate worse than death by suggesting that Vaseline would be far more suitable!

No comments: