Thursday 21 February 2008

Survival - Against The Odds! 14.06.07

Sometimes I am amazed that Robbie has managed to survive for so long! Yesterday we had to go to the dreaded Tesco's, we hadn't shopped together for a while and I soon remembered why. We were in the milk section when the first problem occurred, having stopped to collect the milk I turned the trolley and headed back the way we came. I became aware that I had 'mislaid' Robbie and I looked back to see him standing there like a 'terrible two' with his arms folded and a defiant look on his face, I remember Laura doing exactly the same thing when she was tiny. The reason for his strop was that I was pushing the trolley and it is 'his job'. I decided that now was not the ideal moment to address the issue and I left him in charge of the trolley once more. We continued shopping, but my tolerance decreased each time he challenged my choice of purchase. Apparently his choice of bread was better because he preferred the feel of the wrapper, my pack of fish fingers cost fractionally more per 100g than his choice. Similar objections were raised as each item went into the trolley until the temptation to park that trolley was hard to resist. At the checkout the tension prickles in the air like electricity, he has to be the bag monitor, he has to pack the trolley his way and if I deviate from his plan he even repacks the bags! He has to push the trolley, he has to pack the car and when we get home he has to pack the fridge to his exact blueprint and if anyone changes it he declares war! Control freak in the making!!

After our evening meal I was exhausted and I decided to go to bed. I was soon snuggled up in bed and I must have drifted off to sleep fairly quickly. My sleep was disturbed by a thunderous noise that could have been mistaken a police raid, it was actually Robbie galloping up the stairs and talking to himself. He burst into the bedroom, asking very loudly if I was awake, he leaned over me still talking loudly and when he got no response he pulled my covers off to see if I was still asleep. Undaunted by the adverse reaction he jumped on the bed (yes literally!) and then settled himself at the side of me and made a determined attempt to engage me in conversation. I begged him to go away, I begged for peace, I even begged for a cup of tea, but he said I was 'confused' and he carried on talking to me. In the end sleep was my only escape. I don't recall dreaming but if I did I wouldn't be surprised if it was about cruel and unusual revenge!

No comments: