Saturday 16 February 2008

Railway Time 12.04.07

Robbie has an interesting and somewhat limited grasp of geography, it runs on rails. If a place has ever had any sort of railway provision Robbie will know about it, he will know of all the other places served by that line and he will be able to reel off all the significant dates connected with it. In Robbie's world if a place has never has a station it doesn't exist and he will have no knowledge about it. His brain only works in railway time and space, he will know the timing between two stations to the second but if two places are not linked to each other by rail he hasn't got a clue. I was therefore surprised when he randomly provided me with the coach time to travel from Crewe to Torpoint. He went on to provide the coach times from various other places to Torpoint. I couldn't help asking why anyone would want to go to Torpoint and he informed me that he had obtained the info from a document giving the replacement coach time between stations for occasions when the line is blocked. I felt obliged to state the obvious, Torpoint doesn't have a station, and the nearest station St Germans doesn't have much of a service. Apparently Robbie had overlooked this! He said maybe it was the nearest option for Saltash (clutching at straws). Sure, as the crow flies they are not that far away, but as a car journey it is about half an hour! I have left him pondering on the need for coach times to Torpoint.

This morning he told me that on Tuesday there had been problems getting from Northampton to London due to a fire at North Pole Depot. Now I am convinced he has a problem with geography. Or maybe that is why my trains are always late if everything runs via the North Pole!

No comments: