Thursday 13 March 2008

Finicky Felines (and Others) 07.03.08

A few days ago a friend delivered some car magazines that he had been saving for Laura. He had put them in a box, the sort that fruit is packed in; the magazines were soon spirited away leaving the empty box which was quickly taken over by the cats. Robbie put the cat blanket over the box and the cats became a permanent fixture in the hall. One day Dave the cat even moved it closer to the radiator! It was getting on my nerves so I bought them a cat igloo made of a nice cosy brown fabric I hoped that they would like it and then I could put the box out for recycling. The cats had other ideas, they have refused to use their new bed, and every time I try to take the box away they look at me with such sad eyes that I can't do it

Sam needed new school shoes - again, so last week we headed to the shoe shop to look for a new pair. It is not one of my favourite jobs at the best of times, but Sam was finding it especially difficult to stay 'on task'. He tried on several pairs, but the ones he liked didn't fit and the ones that fitted didn't suit him, finally we settled on a pair that he liked and I could tolerate and they seemed to fit very well. Suddenly Sam's eyes settled on a pair of Sketchers that he absolutely had to have. I am not sure why my children have a weakness for Sketchers, I can't see the attraction - maybe it is an age thing! Like Robbie, Sam and the girls have a passion for footwear. Anyway Sam was focussed on a pair of trainers that were hardy more substantial than plimsolls, but they possessed a price tag that made my eyes water. I explained the difference between 'want' and 'need' and as he already has two or three pairs of trainers he doesn't need any more. I don''t like having to say no and Sam doesn't like having to hear it, but it is a learning process and a necessary part of life. We bought the school shoes and Sam was not a happy chap on the way home, but when he recovered his temper he seemed please with the school shoes. He wore them for a couple of days, but now he is back to the old shoes 'because they feel better'. Why is life so complicated?

No comments: