Thursday 13 March 2008

Another Cunning Plan from 'Baldrick Burgess' 14.01.08

Robbie has been picking on me again! News at Ten has been resurrected, it set Robbie on a trip down memory lane and he mentioned one or two news readers. I asked if he remembered Reginald Bosanquet and he said that he had probably seen old film footage of him because it was so long ago that he was in black and white! Cheeky monkey, I checked, Reginald Bosanquet left ITN in 1979 and that is certainly within living memory - even for Robbie! This all started weeks ago when a friend of Robbie's asked if I could remember Margaret Rutherford, now she really was in black and white, she was born in 1892! I was most offended, no I don't remember her. I remember Andy Pandy in black and white, but that's about it.

On the subject of tv characters from the past, Robbie has a lot in common with Hercules, Steptoe's horse. No, it's not the legs! They both have blinkers! I was reminded of this earlier this evening when we were trying to adjust our morning routine to adapt to a change within our family life. Robbie suggested that we could solve the problem if he travelled to work via Kettering once each week. I thought he was being very helpful and making a big effort to fit in with family life, he was, but it wasn't quite as altruistic as it first appeared. He went on to tell me that it would enable him to see and travel on different trains!! I don't know about wearing blinkers, I think Robbie's mind runs on tracks, but judging by his quick thinking they are clearly not the sort of tracks that are maintained by Network Rail!

Talking of Network Rail, they are still busily trying to shift the blame.
http://www.contractjournal.com/Articles/2008/01/14/57300/bechtel-jarvis-and-colas-rail-hauled-in-by-network.html The thing that puzzles me is why an ordinary member of the public like me had enough knowledge simply from reading and listening to Radio 4, to know that anything that Jarvis is associated with turns out to be a disaster. Why didn't Network Rail know that, it really didn't need a crystal ball to foresee this fiasco.

No comments: