Tuesday 4 December 2007

Please Redesign the Reindeer


I have been busy with all those pre Christmas jobs that can't be put off any longer - writing cards, wrapping up presents and sorting out the decorations. As I have mentioned before, a bit of bad planning 12 years ago resulted in Sam having his birthday in the same week as Christmas, so I have to get ready for that too. In 2003 I took the children to Lapland for an extra special Christmas treat, it was a magical experience. Here are some extracts from my diary entry about the Lapland trip.

My favourite activity was the husky sleigh ride, getting in and out of the sleigh was not very dignified, and the speed was rather alarming at first, but the huskies were amazing. They are so full of energy and they really seem to enjoy working.

We walked into a snowy forest to visit Santa in his house, it was lovely as there were about 15 children in our group and they all had a personal chat with Santa. Samuel is a bit too sophisticated for that sort of thing now, but he wanted the present that Santa had for him so he grudgingly agreed totalk to him. Emily told Santa that she wanted a sheep for Christmas! That's one Christmas dream that will not come true.

We went on a snowmobile `safari' through a forest, it was a bit stressful at first, but I soon got used to driving the snowmobile and I really enjoyed it, Emily was a pillion passenger with Laura and Sam in a trailer behind.

Next came our reindeer sleigh ride. Sam and I went in one sleigh and Laura and Emily in another. Part way through the trip Sam announced that he thought horses were better designed for pulling than reindeer. I was about to explain that reindeer are better adapted for snow when Sam said "if you have to sit behind the animal like this it is better if they have a proper tail because the view from behind a reindeer is not too good". I am constantly amazed at how that boy's mind works!

No comments: