Tuesday 4 December 2007

In the Doghouse

I need to take you back in time to the day about three weeks ago when Robbie and I went to order the new floor covering. I had deliberated about laminate but eventually we agreed that cushioned vinyl was a better option both for practicality and for the dog. She already has a tendency to do a Scooby Doo when she walks across the kitchen floor, her legs move frantically but they don't actually propel her forward because she is slipping on the floor.

Anyway all the difficult decisions had been made, all I asked Robbie to do was to measure the room accurately and to order floor covering. I should have noticed there was a problem when he gave the length measurement in metric and the width measurement in imperial! It was only after the floor covering had been delivered to our house that I realised he had ordered the wrong size. It was rolled width ways and it was about a metre wider than the room, making it impossible to unroll the vinyl. It took me a long time to get Robbie to acknowledge the problem, but eventually he had to recognise that he was well and truly 'in the dog house'. I can't begin to explain my frustration.

Robbie decided that the only solution was to call in an expert, but wanted nothing more to do with it. I couldn't trust myself not to harm him. The fitter was booked for this evening and I went out leaving Robbie to sink or swim. Several hours later I returned to find that the job had been done and the room looked very nice. I was just about to complement him when my daughter complained that Robbie had worn only PJ bottoms while the fitter was here and as if that wasn't enough to terrify the fitter, he had spent the whole time talking to the fitter about trains! I give up!

No comments: