Monday 3 December 2007

Bungle, Bungle!

Robbie arrived home considerably later than planned yet again - due to the total incompetence of Central Trains who seem to have abandoned the pretence of customer service. I went out to rescue him from the station and was treated to one of his weirder 'did you knows'.

This time he asked me if I knew what the term Bungle Bungle meant. I said that it sounded like Rainbow meets the Wombles and for a moment I stunned him into silence. He then named all the characters from Rainbow - Zippy, George, Bungle, Geoffrey, Rod, Jane and Freddie! Another ponderous silence before the triumphant declaration that Womble in question was actually called Bungo not Bungle. I was happy to take refuge in TV land, but Robbie dragged me kicking and screaming back to the world of train planning.

Apparently the term ‘bungle bungle’ is used to replace numbers that are not yet available e.g. the number of a train service. I hope my brief approximation will satisfy any readers. The intricacies of this concept were explained to me in infinite detail in the car and then for another half hour or so just after midnight when we were in bed! I tried distraction but failed miserably, so I took the only course of action left open to me - I fell asleep!!!

No comments: