Monday 3 December 2007

Getting Ready for Christmas

I can't believe that Christmas is so close, it must be a sign of old age because I'm sure time passes much faster than it used to. Every year I promise myself that I will be better organised and will avoid that frantic last minute rush. It never happens of course, the last time I was actually organised well in advance was twelve years ago - and that was due to another bit of bad planning! Samuel was due to be born on 8th December, I should have done the maths quite a lot earlier because December is not an ideal time to have a baby. Samuel does everything in his own time and being born was no exception, he was late and I was worried that I would be out of action for Christmas. He finally put in an appearance on 20th December! He celebrated his first Christmas before he was a week old. I feel a bit guilty about him having his birthday so close to Christmas because he has to wait a whole year for more presents, but he makes sure he is not too deprived!

Robbie loves Christmas and he is careful that I don't get left with all the work. He really enjoys cooking and he plays his part in preparing the Christmas dinner. Last year he got so engrossed that he was still flitting about in his PJ bottoms and his rather alluring apron when the rest of the family arrived!

For Robbie and the children the best bit of Christmas is the presents. I get a lot of pleasure out of choosing things that I think they will like. Inevitably many of Robbie's presents are train related, but he likes geeky stuff too. Last year I bought him some British Transport Films DVD's, he loved them and I was surprised to find that I enjoyed them so much that I have watched them over and over again. It is so special to cuddle up together to watch the films, my favourite is oneabout moving an entire farm by train. Robbie isalways pleased to get model trains, but storage space isa bit of an issue. We have started collecting N gauge now, that helps a bit. I am not feeling very kindly towards Robbie about his train collection at the moment. On Sunday morning we were in bed and Robbie started chatting about his will - as you do! He said he wasn't going to leave his train collection to me, I was quite surprised to hear myself insisting that I wanted the deltics! It isn't an issue really, because I have no plans to outlive Robbie. As he puts it, we will grow old disgracefully together!

Robbie bought me the most amazing present last year, an external hard drive, I really love it. I have dropped heavy hints about an equally geeky present this year, but I will have to wait and see. As far as I am concerned having Robbie and the family is better than any present.

No comments: