Monday 3 December 2007

Family Ties - and Shirts!

On Saturday afternoon when Robbie's headache was less troublesome he said he needed to go to town to buy a belt. I was busy decorating the lounge so he had to go on his own - not always a good idea because he gets carried away when clothes shopping!

I thought no more about the shopping trip until this morning when he rather sheepishly told me that he couldn't find a suitable belt, but he had accidentally bought two shirts and two ties. The concept of accidental shopping is new to me, but one of the shirts certainly looked like an accident. I couldn't help asking if he was aiming for the 'used car salesman look' or if he intended to wear it with green wellies! The other shirt was fine, but the ties were somewhat alarming, one was not too bad but the other was a striking green creation that would not have looked out of place on a leprechaun. When I was a little girl my grandmother used to say "never trust a man in green trousers". I dread to think how she would have reacted to Robbie's tie.

The Burgess tie collection is now quite extensive, there are one or two more sober specimens, but on the whole his ties are best described as memorable. It takes a certain courage to combine colours in the way that Robbie does, but that is part of his own unique style.

No comments: