Monday 11 August 2008

Elephants in Norwich!

Guess what we did today – we went on a train! We got up moderately early and drove to North Walsham to catch a train to Norwich. I wasn't too keen on getting up early because I was summoned from my bed by Sam shortly after midnight to watch two moths mating on the bathroom window. I found myself feeling sorry for the moths, the process didn't seem to be very exciting and it certainly wasn't quick so it didn't have much to recommend it. When I returned to bed I was just settling down to sleep when Robbie woke me to inform me that they are opening a new Morrisons at Wednesbury. It wasn't even of passing interest, I try to avoid going that far north.

Anyway we got to Norwich in time for Robbie to have the 'foot long' he had been promising himself for weeks. Robbie and Sam both love eating at Subway, I can't see what all the fuss is about but at least they can't talk while they are eating so I get a few minutes peace. Norwich had been invaded by over 50 brightly coloured elephants, they were all over the city centre and they certainly brightened the place up. They are part of a creative arts project, but the intention is also to raise money for two charities, CLIC Sargent and the Born Free Foundation. I loved the elephants and I took lots of photos. I even got a nice picture of Sam in the Costa Coffee shop, but he wasn't too pleased about it.
We had a nice day in Norwich visiting all our favourite places, but the big disappointment was Norwich Station. I had always liked Norwich Station in the past, it seemed to be well run and friendly, but this was my first visit since National Express took over the running of the station and I was very disappointed. The station was disorganised, the announcements were unhelpful, the place was a mess and horror of horrors the toilets left a lot to be desired. At least they provided entertainment outside the station, the National Express coordinators were attempting to manage the parking and despatch of replacement coaches. I say attempting because they were proving beyond doubt that they could not coordinate their way out of a paper bag! The sad thing is the station is supposed to be providing a service to the public, but instead no respect or consideration is shown to the passengers.

No comments: