Tuesday 26 August 2008

Back to Reality

On Monday morning I had that disconcerting experience of waking up and having no idea where I was. Then with a sinking feeling I realised that I wasn't on holiday any more, I was back at home in my own bed, in the real world and our holiday is just a fading memory. I really don't want the summer to end, it has been nice to have more time with Sam, Laura and Emily and now there is only one week left before school starts again. Before we know it the clocks will be changing and the dark days of winter will stretch ahead of us.

The more immediate reality of work and daily routine can not be avoided, but I am determined not to let it completely overshadow family time. Coming home after a holiday makes you look at things with a fresh eye and I am determined to de-clutter the house. there is also too much stuff and too little space. I am also going to redecorate the kitchen, I have been promising that I would do it for ages, but I have to stop thinking and get on with it. We have had temporary fencing up on one side of the garden for months, it only required three panels but Robbie turned a supposedly simple task into a bureaucratic exercise of endless planning and indecision – he's been spending too much time with Network Rail! In the end I gave him an ultimatum, if he couldn't get it up I would find someone who could! So yesterday he and Sam ventured out into the garden and after three hours of effort they had managed to erect one panel! Oh well, only two more to go. Maybe Robbie should stick to train planning!

No comments: