Thursday 21 January 2010

A Cat Trap


Since Dave found out that he could get on to the top of the fridge freezer we can't keep him off it. Yesterday he was sitting up there on top of a pile of my talking books with his head almost touching the ceiling, looking down at me in a very superior way. I don't want him on the kitchen surfaces and I certainly don't want him up there, but obedience training for a cat is rather like obedience training for Robbie - futile!


I am 5ft and the fridge freezer is 6ft so I can't lift him down, but there are two things that will get him down there from there very quickly, food and the cat carrier. If he sees me opening his food he will be there in an instant and if I get the cat carrier out he will vanish without trace for hours. I have to get up there to disinfect the surface and I plan to sprinkle some cat pepper up there to make the area unattractive to him. Baldric Burgess had a much more fiendish plan to deal with the problem, it involved containers of water among other things. Quite apart from the serious danger of placing water on an electrical appliance, I foresaw other dangers too. I have heard of flying squirrels, but I was not comfortable with the prospect of a damp cat landing on my head closely followed by a pan of water. The plan was vetoed.


This morning I was just in time to see Robbie armed with a tea towel, jousting with the cat; Robbie's language left something to be desired and Dave was swearing back at him. Suddenly Dave lost his footing and tumbled down bringing a shower of cat crunchies and sundry items with him. Robbie scuttled off to work leaving me with a cantankerous cat and a kitchen that looks like a war zone!

No comments: