Tuesday 13 July 2010

I Don't Believe It!

To borrow a phrase from Victor Meldrew, I don't believe it, I really don't believe it! Just when you think your life is much too difficult, another problem pops up and brings everything to a complete standstill. On Monday morning I took Emily to the other side of town to start her new job, all seemed to be going well, we got there in good time and after wishing her luck I headed home. It began to rain - that irritating sort of rain that forces you to keep turning the wipers on and off. There was not enough rain for the intermittent wiper function to be useful but it was still necessaries to keep clearing the screen. Suddenly the wiper flickered and then stayed firmly stuck in 'ground old Duke of York position (half way between up and down).

I got home and tried everything I could think of to rectify the problem. Nothing worked, so I had to make an emergency dash to see my mechanic. What I thought would be a quick repair turned into an over night job with a bill to match. I was car-less, but my step father saved the day by lending me his car over night.The Galaxy needed a new wiper motor and new linkage, but when my mechanic found out how much the new parts were he sent them back and set about making the most of the parts that were causing trouble. after stripping it all down and cleaning everything up he coaxed the wipers back to life. It still cost £170 because Ford insist on burying all their parts in impossibly tight locations, so it takes loads of time and effort to get at them. I hope this is more than a short term fix because new parts will cost about £700 and with labour on top it would be around £900!! I have had a stern word with the car, and warned it that it's days are numbered! I really hope no other problems rear their ugly head for a few weeks.

No comments: