Tuesday 29 April 2008

Feeling Old!

I'm feeling old! I keep blaming Robbie for wearing me out, but I think the cold I had last week has exhausted me. I can cope with sniffles and sneezing, bit it made me ache all over and I alternated between feeling shivery and being too hot. The cold has more or less gone but it has left me with an annoying cough and it has started my asthma off, so I am feeling tired and frustrated. Robbie tries his best to say the right thing but he never gets it quite right, he assures me that I'm not old but rather than quitting while he's ahead he always goes on to say 'well not to me anyway' and that gives a completely different message!!

I had one of those 'end of an era' feelings last week. Laura had her last ever lesson at the music centre, she has decided to give up lessons to concentrate on her A Level exams. I have been going to the music centre for so many years that it will seem very strange not to have to go anymore. Laura plays the Saxophone very well and I love listening to her play, but it took her a while to find an instrument that suited her. Emily knew from the beginning that she wanted to play the flute and she went from strength to strength. Laura began with the clarinet, in fact she continued playing the clarinet until last year, but she always longed to play the saxophone. Somehow a music teacher convinced her that she really should play the oboe instead. I remember the oboe phase in excruciating detail, it sounded like a duck being tortured and it coincided with Sam's early adventures on the violin - it was agony! Laura didn't enjoy the oboe and before long she took up the saxophone instead, she must have been playing the Saxophone for about seven years now. All my prayers were answered when Sam gave up the violin in favour of the cornet - a much more tolerable sound! I am not very musical, in fact I am pretty close to being tone deaf, but I know when it is painful and the oboe phase was memorable for all the wrong reasons.

I met my new nephew for the first time on Sunday, he is lovely. They have decided to call him Oliver John, that is quite a relief because my brother wanted to call him Cecil - poor little chap that would have been cruel!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you mean OLIVER, mum :P love you, ems xxxxx

Anonymous said...

I'm glad the name thing was cleared up, Olive seemed a bit cruel for a bot. LOL!

My son played the saxaphone for a while and was getting quite good but then insisted on selling it for an electric guitar. That was soon sold to fund other things, so now he can't play anything, which is a shame.

Linda

http://journals.aol.co.uk/lindaggeorge/GeorgeMansions/

Anonymous said...

I think I meant boy, not bot!!!!!

http://journals.aol.co.uk/lindaggeorge/GeorgeMansions/

Robbie's Random Ramblings said...

fluteemj said...
I think you mean OLIVER, mum :P love you, ems xxxxx

Thank you Ems, I think the spell check on this computer has a very odd sense of humour!