Monday 27 February 2012

Teaching an Old Cat New Tricks

I saw far too much of the station car park last week, Robbie was working impossibly long hours and he was in so much pain that getting home on his own really wasn't an option. Thanks to the 'rancid green machines' (which are the bane of Robbie's life) I had plenty of time to take in all the 'delights' of Northampton Station. In fact I could probably have read the whole of War and Peace during my evening sojourns at the station. So by the time we got home and and got a meal on the table, Robbie was nodding off before his fork reached his mouth, like the dormouse at the Mad Hatter's tea party in Alice in Wonderland. 


It seemed as if the fun and closeness of the week before was just a distant dream but when life is tough and stressful, you have to take pleasure in the little things and the fleeting moments of fun. One evening after our meal I came into the lounge and was surprised to find Robbie wide awake and sitting at his computer. I was even more surprised to see Dave the cat sitting on his lap with his front paws leaning on the table, apparently looking at the computer screen. I told Robbie to "get that cat away from the table" but both he and the cat ignored me - nothing new there. As I sat down I realised that Robbie was talking to the cat comments such as "look at that one" and "this one is even better". Curiosity got the better of me and I walked over to see what they were doing. To my amazement they were looking at pictures of ginger cats! One thing is certain, there is no one in the world quite like Robbie and I am proud of him for so many reasons, but most of all for being true to himself. 

No comments: