Saturday 27 November 2010

Keeping Warm

I am starting to feel a little more human again today, I felt a bit dodgy on Thursday and absolutely diabolical on Friday. I have a long standing digestive problem but it hasn't been this bad for years. I managed to get Robbie to the station on Friday morning but when I got home matters took a turn for the worse and there was no way on earth that I would have been able to get Sam to school. In fact it was so bad that Robbie turned round at Birmingham International, and headed home. At least he has the necessary equipment to work from home. I really don't remember much about Friday after that, when I finally stopped running to the bathroom I slept for hours, I felt very cold but Robbie said I was burning up.

I didn't feel like doing very much today, but at least I felt vaguely human again. This morning I stayed in bed because I still felt too cold to get up even with Robbie's radioactive rear to keep the bed warm. It turned out to be a really nice morning because we cuddled up and watched my favourite film Farmer Moving South. It is one of the finest early British Transport Films, it follows a farmer's relocation from Skutterskelf Hall Farm, near Stokesley in North Yorkshire, to Perry Hill Farm, Hartfield, Sussex on the 31st December 1950 - a date recorded as the coldest night of that year. I wish I could go back in time and explore the railways of those days. It is clear from the film that it was a different world, there was no health and safety, no risk assessments, just good old common sense - something that seems to be sadly lacking these days!

No comments: