Saturday 14 May 2011

Back From the USA

On Friday evening I collected my daughter from university, she was finally home after a trip to USA. She is a Geography student and the trip was to SW USA. Her flight home had been delayed by five hours so I expected her to be tired and jet lagged, she wasn't, she was very talkative. She had seen some amazing places but for the first hour or so all she could talk about was how much she disliked the food. She was appalled that they have doughnuts for breakfast and she said that everything was far too sweet and the portion sizes were ridiculously large. She said that everywhere seemed to smell of peanut butter and it made her feel ill, On Friday evening I collected my daughter from university, she was finally home after a trip to USA. She is a Geography student and the trip was to SW USA. Her flight home had been delayed by five hours so I expected her to be tired and jet lagged, she wasn't, she was very talkative. She had seen some amazing places but for the first hour or so all she could talk about was how much she disliked the food. She was appalled that they have doughnuts for breakfast and she said that everything was far too sweet and the portion sizes were ridiculously large. She said that everywhere seemed to smell of peanut butter and it made her feel ill, I think she may have seen peanut butter here but we don't have it at home. I quite like it but she doesn't like nuts so I am not surprised that she was put off by the smell. She said that fuel was really cheap (I wish it was here) but apples were very expensive, I can't think why they would be expensive but that is what she said. 
I think she may have seen peanut butter here but we don't have it at home. I quite like it but she doesn't like nuts so I am not surprised that she was put off by the smell. She said that fuel was really cheap (I wish it was here) but apples were very expensive, I can't think why they would be expensive but that is what she said. 


Photo by Laura Jones
They visited the Hoover Dam on the border of Nevada and Arizona, my daughter didn't seem terribly impressed by the dam itself but she had a lot to say about the very heavy security around the dam to prevent any terrorist attacks. On the same day they went to Walnut Canyon, Route 66, and the National Monument. They spent one night in Flagstaff.


Photo by Laura Jones
The next day they visited the Grand Canyon National Park and she got some amazing photos. She said that she wasn't that impressed by the Grand Canyon at first but it got better as they went further on. It certainly looks spectacular from the photos.


Photo by Laura Jones
They stayed in the Grand Canyon National Park overnight and the next day they spent more time in the National Park, visited the Navajo Nation and saw real dinosaur tracks in Moenave Arizona. It took her a while to be convinced that they were real, but she was really impressed by what she saw. Footprints seem like a very direct link to the distant past.


The next day they visited the Navajo Code Talkers exhibition, Monument Valley and Goosenecks State Park in Utah. It was really interesting to find out about the very important work of the Navajo Code Talkers in the second world war. I had never heard anything about the very important role these brave men played in creating unbreakable military radio codes. 


The pictures of Monument Valley made me think of John Wayne and i was surprised to find that she'd had her photo next to a life size image of him. 

No comments: