Friday 1 May 2009

Good News

I was going to write about the state of the roads today because all these potholes are driving me mad but there was some good news on the radio this morning so I will writhe about that instead, Carol Ann Duffy has been chosen as the next poet laureate. She will be the first woman to hold that post and she would have been chosen for it last time d Tony Blair had been braver, but we ended up with Andrew Motion instead because they thought he was more politically correct and they didn't want to scare the voters! Carol Ann Duffy is an amazing poet, I love her work but it can be challenging. I told Emily about her being made the new poet laureate, she was pleased because she likes Carol Ann Duffy too, but then she added that she didn't know she was still alive. I was surprised by that because I took the girls to see her at a poetry festival some years ago, she read from The World's Wife, but Emily had forgotten about that. She just shrugged and said that everyone she has studied in her English degree is dead, so she has just got into the habit of thinking of writers and poets in the past tense.

No comments: